Years ago, if you suspected your partner of cheating, a private investigator was your best option for gathering evidence. Although private investigators are still an effective option, many people are taking advantage of technological advancements to catch and prove their partners’ infidelities. That handy smartphone used to store your pertinent information and keep in contact with friends and family has another use that’s gaining in popularity– provider of proof that you’ve been cheating.
Smartphones are making an increasing number of appearances in family law courtrooms during divorce proceedings and are being introduced as evidence, relays The Bend Bulletin, an Oregon newspaper. In the past three years, it’s become more commonplace for call and search histories, text messages and emails from smartphones to be used against the smartphone’s owner. According to a survey conducted by online dating website Sugardaddie.com, more than 58% of people caught cheating on their spouses stated that pictures and other information on their cellphones led to them being found out. Anyone foolish enough to cheat can be found out with the following cellphone components, apps or software:
- Text Messaging. A survey of more than 800 attorneys from the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers revealed that 92 percent have seen a rise in evidence being gleaned from smartphones. Text messaging is the top source of incriminating evidence that points to cheating and other issues relevant in divorce court. Sent, received and saved text messages can all be used to prove cheating.
- Email Storage. Backing up your cellphone data to iCloud or another smartphone storage program is a good idea. But if emails or other incriminating documents are included in the storage they can make their way into the courtroom as evidence.
- GPS Locater Apps. This smartphone app is often used by parents who want to keep track of their kids and it’s handy when you’re trying to locate a lost or stolen cellphone. But GPS locator apps can also let your spouse or partner know where you’re at, leading to big trouble if you’re somewhere you shouldn’t be.
- Call and Search Histories. A smart cellphone user will erase his or her call history to remove potential evidence, but might not think to do the same with their search history. Search histories can reveal anything, ranging from information on the person you’re cheating with, places you’ve taken them and even more obvious searches such as “how to cheat on your spouse”.
- Cellphone Spy Software. In addition to GPS locator apps, there are many types of spy software programs for cellphones that allow you to listen in on your partner’s conversations, track them through GPS and read emails or texts. Software programs such as Cell Phone Spy and MobiStealth provide you with information regarding your partner’s activities without him or her even knowing the program has been installed on their cellphone.
There’s an old adage that says “cheaters never prosper” and today’s technology makes this statement truer than ever. No matter how careful a cheater might try to be, it’s likely there’s evidence to be found somewhere within his or her cellphone. While it’s smart to make sure you don’t keep incriminating evidence on your cellphone, the smartest choice is not to cheat at all as you will indeed, be caught!