A recent study by iCrossing found that Facebook is scheduled to hit one billion users in August of 2012. Twitter, on the other hand, has barely touched 100 million, according to their blog. So it’s still small compared to the social networking behemoth, Facebook, but is nonetheless wildly important to your Internet presence.
Are you on Twitter? If not, what on earth are you waiting for? You can start by following the ChicTips blog by searching for the Twitter handle @BeautyApps or @techtionary. So set up an account, choose a super creative handle (that’s Twitter talk for username) and pick a cute but professional picture to represent you. And for a little added incentive to get started, here are the top reasons you should be tweeting from a personal account on Twitter.
- Deals, discounts, coupons and short sales. If you follow your favorite brands on Twitter, you’ll be the first to hear about their special sales. Example: Banana Republic tweeted to their followers that all sale items would be an additional 50% off…but only during lunch that day. If you weren’t watching on Twitter, you might have missed some good deals and some fun lunch hour shopping. Other companies tweet coupons and discounts to thank followers for simply following them. Don’t miss out!
- There are fewer updates from obnoxious friends. If you get tired of the Facebook updates that range from “woe is me” to “yay is me”, try Twitter. Tweets come and go so quickly they won’t linger in your newsfeed. Plus, people can’t complain nearly as much in only 140 characters!
- Customer Service. Companies are hiring swarms of social media experts to manage their accounts and provide immediate customer service. There’s the famous story of a man tweeting he wanted a Morton’s steak before getting on a plane, only to find a Morton’s employee waiting with one when he landed. Other minor examples include Starbucks sending coupons for coffee mishaps and Southwest airlines informing their followers of flight delays.
- Job Hunting. If you work (or are planning to work) in the technology sector, chances are that your Twitter profile can be an asset in your job search. Not only should you follow Twitter accounts that post jobs, but you can also provide your Twitter feed in your resume. Of course, this only applies if you’ve been tweeting intelligent things, some of which are business-related.
- Simple picture posting. No photo albums, no tagging, just instant photos of what you’re doing, seeing or tweeting about. Of course, Twitter pictures are just as “permanent” as Facebook pictures (the Internet is written in ink!) but there isn’t nearly as much involved, especially if you are tweeting from a smartphone and choose the photo icon in the Twitter screen.
- Breaking News. News breaks on Twitter. It’s a new fact of the Internet. Whether it’s Beyonce’s pregnancy or Tebow’s pass in the first game of the AFL Playoffs or any civil uprising in any country across the globe or even local election campaign, a Hollywood stars meltdown or showdown, news hits Twitter, starts trending immediately and can wrack up baffling numbers of tweets per second. One of the more interesting Twitter uses is a lunch truck driver who Twitters her location to lunch goers. To be in the know, jump on Twitter and watch for trending hashtags (# signs). Social Business College just released an onsite and online Social Media marketing course. Click on the image for more.